Mabel Yiu is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who founded the Women’s Therapy Institute in Palo Alto, California.
You don’t have to suffer in silence…
What do you want to know about me? Most people would describe me as “down to earth”. I like to help people look at their problems in a new light.
As a therapist for nearly a decade, I have devoted my life to helping women, men, and children who have suffered depression, anxiety, grief and loss, experienced major life changes, had career and school issues, and lived through relationship problems. I have helped them make the positive changes and create the lower-stress life that they want. In addition to my work as a therapist, I am also an adjunct faculty at University of San Francisco and a clinical supervisor at a community mental health clinic in San Jose, so I have wide experience working solving different problems with different people.
While life is never “perfect,” I believe with all my heart and soul that it can always be better. To me, being a psychotherapist is not just a job, but a calling. There is nothing better than seeing someone who has so much potential, yet so much suffering, regain control and happiness in their lives and experience joy.
Education and Credentials
- 2006—California Certified Suicide and Crisis Counselor
- 2008— Certified S.T.E.P. (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting) Instructor
- 2009—Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, University of San Francisco, Cupertino, CA
- 2009—California Certified Sexual Assault Counselor
- 2010—Certified Executive Coach from UC Berkeley Executive Coaching Institute
- 2012—Received designation of Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) with state of California
- 2013—Certified Perinatal Mood Disorder Counselor from Postpartum Support International
- 2014—Designated as adjunct faculty for University of San Francisco Masters of Counseling Psychology
Specialized Training in Counseling and Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (T.E.A.M.)
- Mindful-Based Stress Reduction
- Wellness-Recovery Action Plan (W.R.A.P.) Facilitator
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Postpartum Support International