Mabel Yiu is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who founded the Women’s Therapy Institute in Palo Alto, California.
Who is Mabel Yiu?
Most people would describe me as “down to earth”. I am direct and like to help people look at their problems in a new light.
As a therapist for more than 15 years, I know what works and what doesn’t when it comes to helping individuals and couples. I have helped them make the positive changes and create the lower-stress life that they want. In addition to my work as a therapist, I am also an adjunct faculty at University of San Francisco. I’m also a clinical supervisor at a community mental health clinic in San Jose. So, I have wide experience working solving different problems with different people.
You don’t have to suffer in silence…
While life is never “perfect,” I believe with all my heart and soul that it can always be better. To me, being a psychotherapist is not just a job, but a calling. There is nothing better than seeing someone who has so much potential, yet so much suffering, regain control and happiness in their lives and experience joy.
Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, University of San Francisco, Cupertino, CA
Adjunct faculty for University of San Francisco Masters of Counseling Psychology
Oral Examiner for John F. Kennedy University Masters of Counseling Psychology
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) with state of California
- Certified Suicide and Crisis Counselor (California)
- Certified Sexual Assault Counselor (California)
- Certified Executive Coach from UC Berkeley Executive Education
- Certified in S.T.E.P. (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting) Parenting Instructor
- Certified in Perinatal Mood Disorder Counselor from Postpartum Support International
- Certified in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy Level 1)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy)
- PACT (Psychological Approach to Couples Therapy)
- T.E.A.M. (Advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with David Burns)
- Counseling for the Military Population
California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor
Fluent in English and Cantonese; Conversational in Mandarin.
Couples and individual counseling, civilian and military, leadership and business coaching.
Direct, compassionate, and humorous. Mabel uses evidence-based practice to bring the unawareness into awareness. She believes that once we are cognizant of why we do what we do and how we contribute to our situations, we gain choices in changing for the better.